Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Down to 1 car?

Are we crazy? I'm not sure. Loren and I have reviewed our budget and looked at our life and decided that we should go down to 1 vehicle. We ended up putting both our vehicles up for sale this past weekend. My little white car was starting to have issues and getting up there in miles. We knew that we had to get rid of it while we could get some money for it. And for Loren's truck, a two seater isn't going to work well with a baby seat.

What is amazing though, is that we put the car up for $3000, which was probably $800 over blue book, and it sold within 24 hours of posting it on Craigslist for cash. Crazy, huh? We paid $3000 for the car 2 years ago, and sold it for the same amount. That usually doesn't happen. So now we are down to only Loren's truck. I will drive the truck to work for this next month and Loren will ride the bus. We were planning on him riding the bus anyways $62 a month and having the stop only 3-4 miles away from our house is a great deal. He spends more in gas each month just driving to work.

After all is said and done, buying a different rig and going down to one car for the next year will allow us to save an extra $4,000+ (payments, gas, insurance) and will go very far when we purchase the 2nd vehicle. It will allow us to be able to pick the vehicle we want and need for our growing family.

I'm very excited to see if we can do this. It will be hard at times, but I know we can get through it. Both of us will have to make sacrifices for me to be able to stay home with the baby, but we both know this is what needs to happen.

We've never looked for a car that we wanted. When Loren bought his truck, he knew exactly what he was looking for, and when I bought the jeep, I knew exactly what I was looking for. When we got the car, it kind of fell into our laps. Are there any suggestions on what kind of cars to look at once we sell the truck?

No comments: